St. Benedict Medal
This breathtaking medal was custom cast for our collection by the same Italian partners who produce the Deliverance Cross. Choose the color and size that best fits your Catholic lifestyle. (Hint: the .71” size fits perfectly in your scapular pocket!)
Originally approved in 1741 by Pope Benedict XIV, the St. Benedict Medal is one of the most popular holy medals revered by Catholics. When blessed, these sacramentals traditionally protect the wearer or carrier from demonic forces, as the prayers associated with the cross constitute a minor exorcism.
This stunning medal in your choice of Nickel or Bronze features an image of St. Benedict, carrying a cross and the Rule of Benedict, with a chalice and raven to his left and right. Flanking the saint is the phrase “Crux Patris Benedicti” or, “the cross of Father Benedict.” Surrounding the entire edge is the Latin phrase “eius in obitu nostro praesentia muniamur,” meaning, “at our death may we be fortified by his presence.”
On the other side, below the phrase “Pax,” meaning “peace,” various prayers—written as initials—appear on and around the image of a cross. These include
- CSSML (crux sacra sit mihi lux) - the holy cross be my light
- NDSMD (non draco sit mihi dux) - let not the dragon be my guide
- VRSNSMV - SMQLLIVB (Vade retro satana! Numquam suede mihi vana! Sunt mala quae libas. Ipse benena bibas!) - Begone, Satan! Never tempt me with your vanities! What you offer me is evil. Drink the poison yourself!
- Comes in Nickel or Bronze
- .71” and 1” medal sizes available